28 Struggles That Only Brits Who Grew Up Abroad Will Understand
Citizens of the world, unite.
1. Your passport is an impressive patchwork of stamps from various countries.
2. A few are from layovers where you never saw the outside of the airport, but you don’t need to tell anyone that.
3. You pack like a flight attendant, fly like a bird, and have totally conquered jetlag.
4. Also, you are an Airmiles MILLIONAIRE.
Sony Pictures / high-on-kittens.com
5. You feel conflicted when someone who doesn&8217;t know you grew up abroad refers to you as “British”.
New Line Cinema / tlotrgifs.tumblr.com
6. And you immediately take against anyone who disses a country you&8217;ve lived in.
BBC / hes-so-dishy.tumblr.com
7. You have pre-prepared long and short responses to the question &8220;Where are you from?&8221;
Cartoon Network / catchmefaster.tumblr.com
8. And you have no idea who to back during Eurovision and the World Cup.
Fox / scrooogejones.tumblr.com
9. You&8217;ve made your peace with sounding like a dick whenever you start an anecdote with &8220;when I lived in…&8221;
10. Your current accent is a diluted version of the one you had growing up.
Channel 4 / tumblr.com
11. And changes depending on who you&8217;re talking to.
12. Without thinking about it, you use foreign slang to make a point.
Paramount / tumblr.com
13. And switch languages to talk to a family member on the phone.
Channel 4 /tumblr.com
14. And pronounce loan words like &8220;paella&8221; the original way.
15. You don&8217;t always dream in English.
Disney / tumblr.com
16. You know tons about the different cultures in various countries&8230;
17. &8230; But you&8217;re not entirely sure where Durham is on a map.
18. Your friends who grew up going camping in North Wales don&8217;t understand why you get so excited about holidaying in Britain.
Buena Vista / imgur.com
19. You&8217;re often tired from Skyping with overseas friends at 5am.
20. So many British pop culture references go way over your head.
Gramercy / gif-database.tumblr.com
21. And no one within a 100-mile radius of you remembers your favourite childhood cartoon 🙁
Channel 4 / tumblr.com
22. On a bad day you don&8217;t feel as though you really belong anywhere.
20th Century Fox / transbordeideamor.tumblr.com
23. But! You know all the best places to get authentic foreign food.
24. And everyone loves it when you teach them how to swear in foreign.
NBC / tumblr.com
25. Not to mention the exotic treats you bring back from abroad.
26. You are probably the most adaptable person you know.
27. And you&8217;re excellent at making new friends on different continents.
28. Which means that, next time you visit another country, there&8217;s probably a sofa you can crash on for free.