Getting to know twitter
The First Tweets Of British Celebrities
1. It’s now possible to search Twitter’s archives, using Topsy. This means you can do fun things like finding out what people’s first ever tweets were – here’s how:
It doesn’t work with every account – some don’t seem to be indexed – but you’ll be able to find the first tweets for most of them. (If you want to find you own first tweets, you can also use this method.)
2. Obviously, the first thing we thought of doing with this was finding out what some famous British Twitterers said the first time they tweeted.
3. This is pretty much the canonical “I am trying out this Twitter thing” first tweet from Jonathan Ross.
4. A functional opener from Stephen Fry.
6. Ricky Gervais started by reminding us how he’s big in Hollywood.
7. Brilliant work from the man who invented the World Wide Web.
8. High quality opening salvo from Schofield here.
9. Strong anecdote about Carol Vorderman from Dara Ó Briain.
10. Peter Serafinowicz started as he would continue, with a solid gag.
11. Piers Morgan correctly anticipated that most people would just use Twitter to send him insults.
12. Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger showed an early commitment to uncovering THE TRUTH.
13. Simon Cowell was so impressed with the fact that he is Simon Cowell that he made it into a hashtag.
14. Niall Horan was the only memeber of 1D to be on Twitter pre-fame. His first tweet was a retweet of Justin Bieber.
15. His next few tweets were also all directed at Bieber.
16. Then he said this, which is adorable.
17. The rest of One Direction’s first tweets are pretty meh.
21. JESSIE J WAS VERY ALLCAPSY
22. ALSO SHE HAD STATUS ANXIETY
23. Some people LIED about what their first tweet was.
24. Look. LIES.
25. Some people hadn’t quite got the hang of the 140 characters thing.
26. Professor Green was pessimistic about what Twitter held for him. Example, meanwhile, was simply stunned by what he’d just done.