This Is What The World Looked Like The Last Time We Had A Government Shutdown
#1. It’s been more than 17 years since the last time the government shut down after Bill Clinton and the Republican-controlled Congress clashed over funding for the 1996 budget.
David Hume Kennerly
3. A snarky Daily News cover was born from the suggestion that the shutdown was fueled by House Speaker Newt Gingrich’s anger over a perceived snub by President Clinton aboard Air Force One.
Gingrich later referred to his comments about Air Force One as his “single most avoidable mistake” as speaker.
5. Government was suspended from Nov. 14-19, 1995 and then again from Dec. 16, 1995 to Jan. 6, 1996. The world was a very different place then.
6. Leaving the house without blue frosted eyeshadow was a fashion crime.
8. Who could forget puka shells?
10. Victoria Beckham looked like this (the Spice Girls still had a few months until their first single, “Wannabe.”)
12. Everyone was quoting the movie Clueless, which was released earlier in 1995. The movie also inspired the fashion trend of short plaid skirts, mary janes, and knee socks.
15. “The Rachel,” anyone?
17. People were watching these television shows…
19. These pretty good films came out during the shutdown.
21. Jonathan Taylor Thomas, you guys.
23. But Jumanji dominated the box office through Christmas.
25. The 1 song was “One Sweet Day” by Mariah Carey feat. Boyz II Men.
The song is about a loved one dying, but the video is just them hangin’ out in a recording studio.
27. This happened.
YouTube / Via Rachel Zarrell/BuzzFeed
29. Coolio’s “Gangsta’s Paradise” was having a good run too.
31. Brandy and the Goo Goo Dolls headlined Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve. Brandy and the Goo Goo Dolls.
33. Someone did this to George Clooney’s hair.
35. On Dec. 20, the Queen advised “an early divorce” to Lady Diana Spencer and Charles, Prince of Wales.
JACQUELINE ARZT / AP
37. And Calvin and Hobbes ended its 10-year run.